Brody turns 5 tomorrow. Its weird to think that I’ve had him for 3 years now, and I’ve known him to be the boy in my life longer than Mick. Yes…this is a post about my dog’s birthday.
Its an arbitrary birthday date. When I got him from Wonder Dog rescue, 3 years ago tomorrow, Linda (the woman who runs the rescue) said he was 1.5 or 2. I made that day his 2nd birthday. It was the day before Easter Sunday, April 6. Now I always remember that its that time of year when the Easter Bunny and candy come out.
Since that day, I haven’t been lonely. Even when Mick is out of town…I always have a friend to cuddle with me on the couch. And cuddle he does. He keeps me warm at night, follows me around, and ALWAYS brings something to greet me at the door.
I went to brunch 3 years back with my then neighbors Robyn and Joanne. Robyn needed a new pet bed, so we headed to the nearest pet shop. Wonder Dog rescue works that corner on the weekends. When I walked up to the corner and I saw him sitting quietly amongst a crew of yappers, I immediately thought he looked like a big dude in a little dudes body. We named him Broderick K. Pugwieler, because we thought he resembled a Rotweiller. Turns out, Carlin Pinchers are bred to look like that.
He immediately sat in my lap, and was so well behaved. Good thing I got to him first, as he had lots of lookers.
We had a slumber party the first night to see if it was a relationship worth working on, and I fell asleep on the couch, and he immediately fell asleep in my leg nook. He never left, its his favorite spot.
A few facts about my dog:
1) He was a rescue from a Sacramento shelter brought to Wonder Dog. He had never seen a beach till I brought him to Fort Funston (thats what I believe)
2) He had never been in a body of water till I threw guided him into my fathers pool (also something I am choosing to believe). He has yet to see or walk in snow.
3) He has the best snaggle-tooth.
4) He is a curmudgeon. Grunts at EVERYTHING. People will say its cuz he is part pug. I say its cuz he is an old soul.
5) He was named Stinky when Wonder Dog first got him, then Odie. I changed it. It was for his own good.
6) He orbits me when I get home. He has his toy in his mouth, and as long as I ask him “What do you have?” over and over again…he will continue orbiting, sometimes switching direction when he gets dizzy. He just likes to show me what he has.
7) He LOVES our cat (his little sister). So much in fact that he cleans her ears….and now she has much less hair on them.
8 ) As little as he is…he takes up the ENTIRE bed. And when we move him, the curmudgeon in him objects loudly.
9) He loves wearing costumes. He owns a Lobster, Turtle, Chicken, Shark, Zombie dog, and he will soon have a tuxedo for our wedding.
10) My dog is cuter and cooler than yours. That’s a fact.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROSEF….I don’t remember my life without you.